Friday, March 14, 2008

Trout Lillies


Through serendipity I ran into some old and fleeting friends last evening. They were hiding in plain sight along a waterfall. I almost missed them in the fading evening light. But they called me to notice so they could say Hi.

Trout Lilly have only a brief moment above ground, I was delighted to find them blooming, though closing up for the day. When I see them, I am in a familiar environment and they let me know I am in a good place.

While admiring the mass of foliage along this stream I was taken back in time, to other spring moments in my life, my response to finding a patch is always the same. Joyful.

I love the word Ephemeral and it's definition.

1. lasting a very short time; short-lived; transitory: the ephemeral joys of childhood.

2. lasting but one day: an ephemeral flower.


Trout Lilly is a native spring ephemeral, some people call them Dog Tooth Violet, due to the shape of the bulbs. Their mottled leaves resemble the markings of the fish by the same name. Fawn Lilly is another beautiful name for these woodland sprites. I have painted them, but do not have time today to find the paintings or scan them, so the above photo will have to do.

If I poke around for the plants medicinal uses I find that Native American woman ate the leaves to prevent conception and the plant has anti bacterial properties. Though I would not recommend eating it, as the plant is known to have strong emetic properties.

Though I have not found a flower essence for this particular plant. I am sure it's signature would assist us with accepting and surrendering to the ephemeral qualities in our own lives. Easing the transition through fleeting experiences with out trauma. It's yellow color would indicate higher conciousness. Another thought just came to me regarding this flower. They embody acceptance with thier place in the world. They are often overlooked, and stepped upon.

They don't mind what happens.



2 comments:

lostlandscape said...

And with encountering the ephemeral: you know that you're in the right place at the right time--Enjoy the stirring signs of spring!

Fernmountain said...

Absolutely!