Thursday, June 23, 2011

Have I mentioned lately...I love my Job!

This is a 16 acre estate in Wilkesboro I nurture. The spring madness of getting everything in order is in a bit of a reprieve. The summer solstice has come and gone and now I can take a deep breath and enjoy the effort it has taken to manifest such beauty.

Not that there wasn't an overwhelming amount of work to do. Instead of taking a lunch break, I photographed the views I was enjoying, amazed, on this drippy rainy day, at the lush gardens I have been nurturing through deer and drought these last few years.....It is beautiful. Note the twisted ancient trunk of the Oak in the foreground.


Finn loves working here, it has 5 ponds he can dunk and drink from.

One even has rubber duckies floating in it for his enjoyment. It is a whimsical garden. The kind of history and antiquity I am so attracted to in this world. The house was built after WWI, and was built to survive any disaster whatsoever...The original gardens were designed by a landscape architect from Charlotte.


On days like this, Finn & I have the place to ourselves.  The owners come in for lunch, briefly. We wave Hi, and they are gone.  One of the owners is an antiques dealer and found this buddha statue in a carriage house in England.  He created much of these gardens during a few year long sabbatical.  It is a huge and well done plan.

Though, I think the deer are pruning the Japanese Maple.....

I feel at home here in the English boxwood hedges, under the ancient oaks,. with the sweeping lawn , giant magnolia, and a lush  understory of hosta's, liriope, lilacs, peonies and roses. Old gardens smell so good in the rain....The gardens are filled with lions, griffins, voluptuous virgins, and even a peeing boy.....




There is plenty of room for Finn to chase sticks and balls while I work.


I am in love with this hosta  border...I took half dead, dear nibbled hosta's from another bed and arranged them around this Oak and English boxwood....it is so lush, the photo really doesn't do it justice.  It is a challenge keeping the huge resident herd of deer from devouring the hosta's as if  they were burrito's, but so far, in spite of the rain, I am succeeding.
What is it about colonial brick architecture and boxwood hedges that makes me feel as though I am in heaven?
I took a lot more photo's of this garden, but I don't want to bore you.....Enjoy!

No comments: