Monday, March 22, 2010

Rain Gardens


I am brushing up on my understanding of rain gardens today. It is raining, and I am preparing the information for a garden club meeting later this week.

A rain garden can improve local water quality while creating a beautiful natural area that will attract birds and butterflies to the garden. Rain gardens allow rain and snowmelt to seep naturally into the ground, filtering the water before it reaches the water table.

This helps recharge the groundwater supply, and prevents the water quality problem of pollution runoff.

It is a simple process and so beneficial. Basically you dig a shallow depression that collects water from your downspouts and plant the area with native shrubs and perennials, see the links below for links to some good rain garden native plants.

I see so much erosion everyday on the mountain and in the foothills. I know of at least 5 drain pipes emptying out under the roads and running down hills. It would be so easy to plant a rain garden under them to make good use of all that water. In the spring rains, I am watching muddy water flow down my street. Rain gardens can do so much to keep our beautiful North Carolina rivers clean.

I look forward to introducing this simple garden concept to my neighbors in the Garden Club this week, as well as the yummy desserts they serve for us at the meeting.


This video is very helpful for understanding how important Rain Gardens can be for our natural water systems to keep them clean. Enjoy Learning!


Follow these links for more information and how to create your own. Enjoy!

Gardening with Water Quality in Mind








No comments: